I Tried unsuccessfully to reply to your last post, so here goes.
Maybe because your memory reflects my own memories of what Asbury Park
WAS, through the eyes of a (then) child, I can relate to your early
club days, the music, just about everything, because my kids reflect
the exact same things!

This being the weekend of change, I can't, not even once, remember
anything or anyone harboring or showing me any racial animosity, in
AP.  I never heard from my kids that they were treated unfairly.  I
heard after the fact, when I took my kids, sister and niece who were
visiting us in the late 70's, that Asbury Park's Beach was racially
segregated.

In that regard, I'm glad I didn't know this, although I don't dispute
what others have said in that regard.  I have color photos of my kids
on the jetty and when I show them, others ask, "where is this"?  When
I say Asbury Park, they look stunned!  I say, "must have been my
winning smile"!  Let's face it, after 5 kids, I was just beginning to
HAVE a body!  Remember, I was a very LATE bloomer!

I have been known, more than once, to sing "Born in the USA", out loud
to my kids astonished looks that I actually KNOW the words!  When I
began to repeat rap lyrics, they would feel my forehead!  I'm talking
about Grand Master Flash, not the kind of rap where the "B" word is
used or other profanities.  I even like Country Music and Country
Comedy or Red Neck Humor!

Jack and others born in the 60's, you're entitled to your memories
just as I loved the days of Howdy Doody, Lucy and the first series of
the Mickey Mouse Club and American Bandstand!  Me?  I was Gene Autry,
the singing cowboy, complete with black outfit, red leather boots and
2 shiny, silver cap pistols!  I lived in a fantasy world!  Sometimes I
still do, but it's OK, because back when I was young, I could always
go there.  I just did.  God Bless!