I thought it was odd of me to somehow agree with all of you  (non-anonymous)
contributors to this thread. All different points of view, but  living here
and with a passion for Asbury Park.

But then got another promo email for Nicle Atkins'  CD, "Neptune City."  And
it reminded me of all you've been  saying:

The shores of New Jersey are littered with small towns whose better days are
far in the past. They’re towns that have been written about, and sung over;
towns that have been mythologized and idealized; and they are the towns that
28-year-old musician Nicole Atkins–a native of Neptune City, located a stones
throw from fabled Asbury Park was born and raised. They can be places steeped
in  their own history, buried under the sense of their own pasts. Places of
hey-days  and what-once-was.
[N.B.especially]And it’s that sense of something lost and of what perhaps
should have been, and what might be, that permeates Atkins’s debut, Neptune
City.
The characters in her tunes seem to live in an idealized past. “This record
is the history of my town; it’s the history of my family and friend in this
town,” she explains. “From the time I was a kid I started collecting these sad
 little tragically beautiful personal stories from the people in my life, and
my  own as well. That sense of history really appeals to me as an artist.”

Even the track titles resonate: The Way it is, War Torn, Cool  Enough, Love
Surreal; except for the last one, "Party's Over."

And from Customer reviews at Amazon:

"Maybe Tonight" encapsulates the restless hope that permeates the entire
record. By the time the chorus hits, you are forced into the corner that
demands
you be either crushed by the broken promises or lifted up despite them.

And:

And sure enough, after trying on other cities and countries for size, she's
ended up right back in Asbury Park, just next door to the place which, as she
said in "Neptune City," she wasn't sure if she could go home to again.

Criticism coming from a tough love for Asbury Park is  good.  And so is an
insistence to Celebrate Asbury Park now and the various  passions of those who
live here.

For the next few days I'll be distracted celebrating the  Inauguration.

Happy America!

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)