Lets take a couple examples from the "real world".

My dad always told me tough shit - this is the "real world".  that was the same
thing he told his bio students that wanted to get into medical school, but
didn't bother to study for a test.

Tenant 1: Rent is $1350 per month. Her share of that is about $175 or 7.7% of
the total rent. Two kids. Gets a 3 bedroom apt. Dad is being taking care of as
well in M county Jail. both are white.

Tenant 2. Temp assistance program. Runs 18 months+  will then switch over to
Section 8 Program. Temp assistance pays 100% of rent of $1500. Now tenant pays
about $100 of that.  3 bedroom apt. Tenant will never have a job. White.

Tenant 3. 4 kids. 2 with 2 different dads. Works. Tenant pays 35% of her rent.
A housing authority pays rest.

Tenant 4. Pays 18% of the rent of $1350. Watched me mow lawn in 90 degree heat.
Gave me a bottle of water (poland spring). Did manage to get up and pick up
stuff from yard so I didn't just mow it over.

I fill out FAFSA forms for college. it's just an exercise.

Like I tell my kids:

1. I didn't join the service.
2. I'm alive.
3. I graduated hs and college.
4. I always worked. Always.
5. I saved or invested what I made every chance I got.
6. I have a retirement account.
7. I stayed married to your mother.
8. I never beat her.
9. I never went to jail.

so in a few weeks, my son goes off to one of two schools. PACE in the lead.
Luckily, I managed to drill SOMETHING into his head and he wound up with a $13k
scholarship. A shame Room and Board in the city is $5600, Meal Plan is $1400,
and tuition is $16,000 plus a few other fees. thats for the 1st semester.

I couldn't drill enough into his head to make him a super genius to get a free
ride.