is there an ACTIVE community/neighborhood watch program in AP?  Meetings, etc.
I see signs around AP but is it active?  I don't live in AP full time, yet, but
will offer as much of my time as possible and get actively involved.  weekend,
weeknights, whatever.

Beyond a watch program there are an incredible number of resources here
http://www.ncpc.org/ that provide guidance beyond just neighborhood watch.

Has/does the city offered meeting rooms for a group?  Offered to work with
anyone on it?  What's the history of the watch program and where do we stand
today?