August 25, 2011 3:00pm

ASBURY PARK RESIDENTS & BUSINESSES:

GOVERNOR CHRISTIE HAS DECLARED A STATE OF EMERGENCY! The National
Weather Service forecasts that Hurricane Irene will arrive in our area
on Sunday as potential category level 2 Hurricane. All residents and
businesses are urged to take this threat seriously and begin
preparations now.

We ask that you secure your home or business by removing all outside
furniture, fixtures or other items. We ask that when you prepare
yourself to turn off your utilities and to evacuate the area should that
be necessary. We also ask that you monitor information news sources for
up-to-date information on the storm track and intensity. If you have not
already done so please register for CODE RED alerts by visiting
www.cityofasburypark.com. For additional Hurricane preparation
information please visit the Red Cross website at
www.jerseycoast-redcross.org.

*If you have alternate in-land safe place to go, we advise you to make
arrangements now to depart to the location prior to Saturday noon. We
also advise residents located in beachfront or lake areas to make
arrangements to depart to a safe in-land location away from those areas.

Monmouth County has designated the following locations as safe shelters
during this storm emergency: Wall Regional High School as the primary
site and Holmdel High School as a secondary site will be available
beginning 5:00pm on Friday. We ask that you familiarize yourself with
local evacuation routes and directions to these sites by visiting the
City of Asbury Park website at www.cityofasburypark.com or calling (732)
774-1300.  The City of Asbury Park will announce a meeting site for
those in need to transportation to a designated shelter. Please stay
tuned for additional information.

The potential impact of Hurricane Irene is a serious threat to our area.
Once the storm begins STAY INSIDE do not venture out and DO NOT go
toward the beachfront for any reason. All residents and businesses are
asked to make preparations now. We will provide on-going updates
throughout the duration of this hurricane threat.

Mayor Ed Johnson

Asbury Park, NJ