I'm sure we can all recall what happened when it was proposed to tear down the
club in 2002:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/stone-pony-faces-demolition-20020111

My concerns are the same as yours.  The wording in the recommendation is an
open invitation to begin the process of abandoning the building and eventually
losing it.

Even says to be relocated from its "second avenue" location.  The summer stage
is in no way adjacent to second avenue.