Dave,

I assume you mean this follow up. (see below)

Peace, JWK

Ken, you raise a fair point with regard the lack of love, caring, guidance, etc
for many young people in the community. I think that anyone that does an honest
assessment of the situation would agree with you. The real challenge is - What
do you do? I have heard so many people say to me over the years, "It starts
with the family." They are right, it does, but what do you do with a few
hundred kids and young adults who have no concept of what a loving, caring,
disciplined household looks like? It's hard to "start with the family" when you
have no real concept of what one is. And that must be our starting point, to
find effective, proven ways of creating family structures when none exist. One
way to possibly address it, would be to take the resources that we use to lock
a young kid up in NJ ($50-100K a year) and to put those resources into group
homes with 1-on-1 staffing/mentoring by seasoned social workers (creating an
artificial parent so to speak). Such efforts would have to be done for the
long-term as it takes at least five years of this kind of work to break cycles
and even then, the road is difficult. But siphoning money from the prison
industrial complex and putting it towards real societal rehabilitation efforts
may be a greater challenge than rebuilding the family structures. Peace, Jim
Keady