Speaking for myself, she was voicing an opinion.  Like you, I know what the
music industry was like BEFORE she opined.  It was gritty
in the 50's, obscene in the 60's and 70's because if you don't know the
"business" end of music, you're just another "flash" in the pan!

Now with Ipods, you "download" whatever the market will bear.  Unless
you self promote on facebook or be "hot" in the business, like agent, lawyer
and accountant, "fugeddabout" it!  Maintaing a Club is another disaster waiting
to happen.  You have to be a "Beyonce" or live in a
big city to make a difference, where there is a "demand" and money to back it.

The more I think about it, GONE are the days of small clubs. Only the Pony,
Wonderbar and Chicos are worth anything.  Everything is DJ's!