Under most of the abatement plans I have seen in this city, the City is
actually receiving MORE than its fair share of the revenue, meaning that the
City is collecting substantially MORE than it would receive under a traditional
property tax scheme.

Meanwhile, I have seen repeated examples where the taxpayers under the City's
PILOT plan are actually paying MORE than they would under  traditional property
taxes for similar assessed values.  Where is the incentive to invest in those
cases?

Werner, you are right that a properly-functioning abatement plan can have the
dual effect of lower taxes for the property owner and higher revenues for the
City, relative to traditional taxes.  However, in many cases in AP, the result
is lopsided in favor of the City.

In any case, these abatement plans are putting properties back into the revenue
stream that have been generating NEXT TO NOTHING in tax revenue for decades.

Don't cry a river for the City tax collectors or AP residents in general over
tax abatements  - they are getting a good deal.