Reading a post on the Asbury Park Sun today reminded me of a threat the City
has been facing for decades... The defacement of its vintage and historic
structures.

The damage is incremental and hardly noticed until it reaches a critical mass
and adversely effects the character of the community.

Some notable examples.....

 - A classic brick residential/commercial building at 6th and Main; painted.

- The former North Asbury Park RR Station at Memorial Dr. of brick and exposed
wood beams; painted.

- A brick building at Summerfield and Emory; painted

- The Windor Building at Main and Bangs, a historic site; painted, antenna
dishes, inappropriate commercial facades.

- The Arthur Pryor Pavilion; stuccoed over, painted, remodeled.

- Many classic brick Main St. buildings; stuccoed over, painted, inappropriate
storefronts, etc...

Stucco, paint, inappropriate storefronts, remodeling....

The clasic, historic look and feel of Asbury Park is being erased in a slow
steady assault.

The Sun posting has a photo of a beautiful brick commercial building with
inappropriate signage covering what should be transom windows, a character
defining feature of the building.

http://asburyparksun.com/rebearth-art-supply-and-lifestyle-to-close/

This board has been inactive for so long, but at least my concerns are now part
of public record...

Werner