____________________________________
 From: r...@tristatestormwatch.com
To: asburyst...@aol.com
Sent: 3/5/2013  9:16:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Nor'Easter Update - March  5th

MAJOR EAST COAST STORM WEDNESDAY THROUGH  THURSDAY NIGHT

STRONG EAST TO NORTHEAST WINDS ALONG THE  COAST WITH GUSTS TO 60
MPH...WORST OF THE WINDS  WEDNESDAY NIGHT
RAIN WEDNESDAY TO SNOW LATE  WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THEN BACK TO
A MIX  OF RAIN AND SNOW ON THURSDAY

TUESDAY - MARCH 5TH

A large  slow moving storm will impact our area from Wednesday  morning
through Thursday night.

Deepening low  pressure will be centered near Norfolk, VA on  Wednesday
morning, then move northeast during the day  on Wednesday.  The forward motion
of the storm  will than be halted by a block over eastern Canada  which will
force the storm on a slow east to southeast  drift Wednesday night through
Friday.

Precipitation will break out Wednesday  morning over southern and central
NJ as mostly rain or  a rain/snow mix inland.  Precipitation will reach
northern NJ around midday as a rain/snow  mix.

There may be a lull in the precipitation  early Wednesday afternoon before
heavier precipitation  moves in later Wednesday afternoon.  By late in  the
afternoon, rain or mixed rain/snow will be  changing to all snow.  Snow will
continue  Wednesday night.

Snow amounts will be  difficult to forecast throughout this entire event
due  to strong easterly flow, marginal surface temperatures  and banding
features pivoting around the fully  occluded and stacked area of low pressure.
Best  estimate right now is for 2 to 5 inches of wet snow  throughout the
area with perhaps as much as 6 inches  over interior southern NJ where the
heaviest banding  will take place.  Forecasting the location of the  best lift
and forcing (under which the most snow will  fall) is a complete guess right
now.

On  Thursday, the storm lingers offshore and waves of  mixed rain and snow
will be pivoting in from the  east.  Temperatures on Thursday will be above
freezing.  On Thursday night, additional jet  stream energy could intensify
the precipitation once  again causing additional light accumulations of wet
 snow.  By Friday, we should be left with just  some leftover rain showers.

There will be  strong and gusty northeast winds for at least a 36  hour
period from Wednesday morning through Thursday  afternoon.  Wind gusts of 40
mph will be common,  except overnight Wednesday when wind gusts of 50 mph  to
60 mph are possible.

Tides will be up for 4  tide cycles.  Tides of up to 2 feet above normal
will occur at the times of high tide Wednesday  afternoon, Thursday afternoon
and very early Friday  morning.  The high tide that occurs around 2am on
Thursday will be 3 to perhaps 4 feet above normal  causing moderate coastal
flooding.  This will  flood the streets in areas normally prone to coastal
flooding and vehicles should be removed from these  locations.  Fortunately,
astronomical tides are  not high during this period.  A complete washover
of the beaches is likely Wednesday night and beach  erosion will be an issue
due to the persistent high  tides and rough surf.

Additional updates will  be provided through the day.

MONDAY - MARCH  4TH

Very potent upper level energy will be  moving through Chicago, the Ohio
Valley, southern VA  and off the VA coast over the next 48 to 60 hours.  This
will initiate strong low pressure to  develop near Cape Hatteras.  While the
wind and  moderate coastal aspects of the storm have remained  unchanged
for the last several days, the track of the  surface low has been trending
from due east offshore  of the NC coast to a more northeast trajectory to off
the New England coast.  This has raised the  chances for heavy precipitation
into much of NJ,  particularly coastal sections and south of I-78. This
precipitation most likely will start as rain during  the day on Wednesday, but
as precipitation gets heavy  towards Wednesday night, dynamic cooling will
take  place and rain will change to snow.

With  surface temperatures no colder than 32 or 33, this  will be a wet
snow, but it things continue to trend as  they have been over the last 24
hours, this could be a  heavy snow event.  With temperatures borderline  for
snow, its difficult to pinpoint exactly where the  heavy snow will fall because
it is all dependent on  the rate of precipitation, but at least parts of our
 area are now under at least the threat of a heavy  snowstorm Wednesday
night.

The wind and tidal  forecast remains the same as described yesterday.  The
high tide that will likely produce moderate  coastal flooding and possible
washover of the beaches  will be Wednesday night, just after midnight.  Wind
gusts of 50mph to 60mph are likely from  Wednesday evening through Thursday
morning.

SUNDAY - 4:30 P.M.

Going over  all of the guidance this afternoon and its quite a  lesson in
the atmospheric interaction of several  entities....to which very small
changes will have  profound effects to our sensible weather.  All of  the
guidance, with the important exception of the  European model and the not so
important UKMET model,  have trended to take the main storm and phase it a bit
with exiting energy off the New England coast, rather  than this energy acting
to supress the storm.   This means no change to the forecast for points
south  and west of us, but its a big deal for NJ because it  causes the storm
to gain some latitude offshore rather  than moving due east from the
southeast VA  coast.

So most of the guidance is dropping more  precipitation over NJ,
particularly from I-195  south.  So becoming a bit more wary about a heavy  wet
snow
impacting south NJ and the Philly area....not  ready to call it likely but
this is going to be  interesting to watch over the next several  days.

I hit the wind aspect of this storm a bit  in the update earlier today, but
want to reiterate  that we could be looking at 50mph to 60mph wind gusts
for almost 24 hours from around midday Wednesday to  midday Thursday.  Still
going with the idea that  coastal flooding in the Monmouth and Ocean County
areas will be what we normally see with a healthy  Nor'Easter....that being
street flooding in the usual  areas, but the beaches could certainly
washover with  the lack of dune protection.  No structural  damage expected.
Farther south in Atlantic  County and particularly Cape May County and the
Delaware Bay....this could be a more significant  coastal flooding event
particularly with the overnight  high tide on Wednesday night.  If you are
along
the coast in those areas, I would pay particular  attention to future
forecasts.

Now, back to  Monmouth and Ocean, you may be wondering if the  coastal
flooding forecast could change if the storm  comes farther north..  I do not
believe the  coastal flood forecast will worsen for Monmouth and  Ocean because
even if the storm comes farther north,  it will do so offshore with a
resulting north to  northeast wind rather than straight easterly.   The big
variable in this area will be precipitation  amounts and type and as I stated
earlier, this is  getting interesting.

The forecast for a big  snow event for the Baltimore/DC corridor and most
of  Maryland and northern VA holds.

Quick peek  ahead...much more tranquil and milder period follows  this
storm.  Around mid-month, blocking returns  along with colder weather, i.e. no
early Spring this  year.

SUNDAY,  MARCH 3RD

Quick  update on the midweek storm.....I know a lot of folks  are concerned
about the coastal flooding aspect of the  storm.  Yes, there will be a slow
moving coastal  storm that will bring a couple of days of strong gusty
northeast winds.  Astronomical tides are low in  this time period, so while
there certainly is the  likelihood of coastal flooding and perhaps complete
washover of the beaches, I don't see this being an  event that causes
additional damage to our vulnerable  waterfront areas.

The precipitation  forecast is tricky.  There is a massive block in
eastern Canada and slowly departing jet stream energy  off the New England
coast.
These two pieces of  the puzzle are going to make it difficult for heavy
precipitation to reach our area.  The surface  temperatures during the event
are not all that cold,  so frozen precipitation will be dependent on heavy
rates of precipitation bringing down cold air from up  above.  This is one
of these late season storms  where if you do get precipitation, its either a
little  rain or a lot of snow.

I think there will be a  band of very heavy snow associated with the
storm.  Right now that band looks to be in the  Baltimore/DC area, including
much
of Maryland away  from the coast as well as northern Virginia.  The
precipitation gradient will be extreme because of the  block pressing down from
the north.  This could  be a situation where Philadelphia gets about a 1/4
inch of rain, but Baltimore sees a foot of  snow.

As we know from the past, coastal storms  tend to trend northward on the
computer guidance as we  get closer to the event and it would not take much to
 get heavier precipitation rates into central and  particularly southern
NJ.  Two things working  against this right now are the strength of the block
to the north and that the European model remains the  furthest south of all
the guidance with its forecast  precipitation field.

So for now, the concern  around here with the storm is a prolonged period
of  very gusty winds and several cycles of above normal  high tides starting
Wednesday morning and continuing  through Thursday.  Will continue to
monitor  closely and provide future updates as necessary.

© Tri-State Storm Watch. All rights  reserved.
If  you are unable to read this e-mail, please go to:
_http://www.tristatestormwatch.com/pages/forecast_
(http://www.tristatestormwatch.com/pages/forecast) .
Tri-State  Storm Watch 1234 Any Street Shark River Hills NJ USA
If you do not wish to  receive messages from us, _click  here_
(http://www.tristatestormwatch.com/livesite/unsubscribe.php?email_address=asburysteve@aol
.com) .