---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 09:35:32 -0500
From: Simon Spero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ASN.1] PER/DER

Because X.509 needs a canonical representation and predates PER by
approximately 14 years :). Also, nearly all the bytes in an X.509
certificate are the key and the signature, which don't really compress well
with PER. LDAP on the otherhand really squishes well.

Simon

--On Friday, November 03, 2000 6:07 AM +0000 rb krishna