>      I would like to know the significance of the key word DEFAULT in ASN.1.
> Is this different from OPTIONAL keyword.
>       If I have understood correctly , the keyword DEFAULT indicates that if a
> particular Identifier's (declared as DEFAULT)
>       value is not specified during transmission then the receiver has to assign
> his own value.
>
>       If this is the case , then one should have two different flags(or Bits) to
> indicate DEFAULT and OPTIONAL status and not
>       a single flag while transmitting the bits.

Within the encoded data, the optional bit being set means an OPTIONAL value
is encoded, while the optional bit being off means an OPTIONAL value is
not encoded. If the receiving side receives an OPTIONAL value, the
DEFAULT value is no longer material; if the receiving side does not receive
an OPTIONAL value, the DEFAULT value would be used, in which case it would
be the receiving side that knows (via the ASN.1) which value it should be.

What additional information do you believe needs to be relayed via a
default status bit? I think none.

Conrad Sigona                         Toll Free      : 1-888-OSS-ASN1
OSS Nokalva                           Voice Mail     : 1-732-302-9669 x400
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Fax            : 1-419-831-5035
http://www.oss.com                    My direct line : 1-315-845-1773