Hi Krishna,

I assume you are talking about a PER encoding when you speak of bits.
A single bit is sufficient because you can not have both in combination.
The meanings of the two keywords are really quite similar.  In PER,
no value is transmitted if either an OPTIONAL is omitted or a
DEFAULT value is used.  On the receiving end, if you don't receive an
OPTIONAL, a value does not exist.  If you don't receive a DEFAULT, the
value from the specification should be used.

Regards,

Ed Day
Principal Engineer
Objective Systems, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(610) 608-4930 (voice)
(610) 321-0361 (fax)
(877) 820-4164 (toll-free voicemail & fax)