Benoit POSTE

                    <benoit.poste@tri       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    um-rd.com>              cc:

                                            Subject:     [ASN.1] PER, Sequence
OPTIONAL
                    07/25/01 06:13 PM        extensions

                    Please respond to

                    asn1

Hi,

Reply....

   I know that I have already asked very similar questions a
while ago ... unfortunately none seem to fit my current problem.

   If we consider a sequence type with a few extensions that are
all OPTIONAL. Consider that we would like to PER encode a value
where all these (OPTIONAL) extensions are non-present. What
exactly do we encode? More precisely:
- Is the extension preamble set to 0 or 1?

IN case u do not wish to encode the extension elements
the value of extension preamble is to be set to 0.
(whether the extension values are optional or otherwise
..doesnt make any difference)

- Consequently, are the enxtension bitmap length and the
extension bitmap (all 0s) encoded at the end of the root
encoding?

In case the u decide to encode the extented elements (optional or
otherwiae)..YES...the extension bitmap length and the extension bitmap
is encoded at the end of the root encoding. But in case u do not
wish to encode the extented elements (as in the case you have mentioned)
this length bitmap is NOT to be encoded.

   Hoping that someone will be able to help me determine what is
expected/tolerated/forbidden, thanks a lot all :).

   Benoit Poste.

P.S.: On a side note, Mr. Andersen had an interesting comment on
this topic last time, but I couldn't see any reply ... or were
the messages eaten by the big nasty mailing list software?

Please let me know if this is clear...

Praful