----- Original Message -----
From: "Rajul Gupta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [ASN.1] BER: minimum number of bytes?

One of the member in the list pointed me that, I misinterpreted your
question before. I think you were asking, if an alternative way of encoding
0A in BER can be

91 02 00 0A

instead of

91 01 0A

If this is the question, then answer is NO.

Look at page # 278 of ASN.1 standards
http://ties.itu.int/ftp/asn1/asn.1-2002-july-16-2002.pdf

Section 8.3 for Encoding of an Integer value explains that integer value
should always be encoded in the smallest possible number of octets.

Rajul

> I don't think you can encode above in one byte. You need three bytes for
BER