Protocols come in family trees.

They are the result of a marriage of often many different
organisations, firms, state bureaus etc.

My own version of the ASN.1 origins:

In the mid- to late 1980'ies the big challenge was how
to transfer communication from "snail mail" to electronic
mail, or more generally how to transfer files via
telecomms networks.

The Americans had come up with the Internet which had
both email and ftp functionality.

The UN body of countries - in CCITT (now ITU) wanted
- or the majority of them agreed to - come up with
a more state controlled - i.e. a more hieracically divided
model for communication between data processing nodes -

So this union of interestes came up with the X series of
protocols. That included the OSI 7-layer model for communication,
X.400 electronic mail, FTAM for file transfer, plus a lot
of other standards.

Out of the work with X.400 grew ASN.1. While working on
the Blue book version from 1988 of CCITT (ITU) protocols
ITU formed a "union of interests" with ISO - these two bodies
formed the "Joint-CCITT-ISO-working-group" (called something
in the vicinity of this) so standardisation was now taking
a rather big step towards this X family of protocols.

However the internet had advantages that the X-series of
protocols did not posess. Not at that time at least.
And the internet kept growing while the international community
was working on the X series of protocols.

The internet protocol has this wonderful ability of
automatic configuration. Network philosophers can
probably write a whole book on this. And have done so.

It has a wonderful simplicity about it. A simplicity won
by the fact - in my opinion - that it grew out of a single
mind - or a few minds -instead of being the result of a great
compromise between thousands of minds, like the case of the
X series of protocols. If this is completely wrong then please
correct me...

So now to your question: Protocols in the family tree of X.400
have inherited ASN.1. ASN.1 was also by marriage of interests
inherited into the Q series where it got adopted for ISDN, UMTS,
and so on.

Then you might ask: Why do we still need to consider ASN.1
when designing new protocols ?

ASN.1 replaces the old-fashioned way of designing protocols
by drawing little boxes with bits and bytes. These little
drawings had the disadvantage that every now and then some
standardisation group would interpret the reading direction
in an new manner: From left to right, right to left, from
top to bottom, bottom-and-up and so on.

While in a protocol analyser firm I had the pleasure of
trying to figure out what was meant by thousands of these
little drawings. At some point you get fed up and say:

"Why cant someone make a general rule of specifying bits
and bytes on the line instead of this confusion" ?

Now - in approx 1990 when I had reached that state - I
was asked to implement the Mobile Application Part (MAP)
of GSM prase 1 for a protocol analyser. (ETP71 if
anyone on this list still should remember it...)

And there was the answer of all my dreams.... A language
that once and for all would stop this never-ending
discussion about how to specify reading directions
for procotol elements i.e. the *semantic* aspect
of protocol specification seemed to have a solution.

I reckon there is no time for protocol history left when
designing a new protocol. So a design group should
choose the language that they think will bring them closest
to their goal in the most efficient way. (i.e. fastest
and safest)

Finally I'd say: Go for ASN.1. Its implementation can
be changed very fast through choice of encoding rules
(BER DER CER XER PER...)to suit various needs.

Use as few language elements as possible to get there.
Don't go for anything fancy. ASN.1 got too inclusive
underway but that is explainable. read through the
brief history above and realise how many minds the spec
has been through. So many different needs, speculation
on future needs etc..

So cut it down. make it simple. get there fast and safe.

regards
Steen Oluf Karlsen
Søholtvej 6
Vester Vandet