Hi,
    I require the following clarification regarding syntax lists. A similar question had been posted before, but there is still one missing link (atleast in my understanding). Consider the following CLASS definitions -

CLASS1 ::= CLASS
{
    &val1    INTEGER OPTIONAL,
    &val2    INTEGER OPTIONAL
}
WITH SYNTAX
{
    [&val1] [&val2]
}

    There are two clauses in the ITU-T spec that I would like to bring attention towards - clause 10.10 and clause 10.12 b).  If we would consider just 10.12b, then the above would be invalid. But if we consider clause 10.10, then if an object is defined with one value, the same would belong to &val1 (in my understanding). Now for the tough part, clause 10.10 will always resolve situations described in 10.12 b), which would as a result never be illegal. As such I am not sure of the purpose of clause 10.12b) or the situation covered by 10.12b and not by 10.10.

Clause 10.10: When, in the parse process, an "OptionalGroup" is encountered, and the following lexical item is syntactically
acceptable as the first lexical item in the optional group, then that group is assumed to be present. If it is not syntactically acceptable as the first lexical item in the optional group, then that group is assumed to be absent.
NOTE – In order to avoid unexpected effects, designers should normally make the first lexical item in an optional group
a "Literal".

Clause 10.12 b): The use of "OptionalGroup"s shall be such that at no time in the parsing process can a "Setting" appear
that could potentially be a setting for more than one "FieldName".

Thanking you.

Yours Sincerely
Ramaswamy

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to
Synergy Infotech Private Limited and is intended for use only by the
individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If this is a forwarded message, the content of this E-MAIL may not have
been sent with the authority of the Company. If you are not the intended
recipient, an agent of the intended recipient or a  person responsible for
delivering the information to the named recipient,  you are notified that any
use, distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this
information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited. We have taken
precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we
advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this
message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software
viruses. If you have received this communication in error, please delete this
mail & notify us immediately at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]