Would it be possible to be cc'ed the answer ?

Handling a MAP can be difficult. I had the pleasure
with GSM phase 1&2 where we had to rewrite the MAP
messages that were specified as ASN.1 macros so they
became ASN.1 information objects.

On top of that - or rather inside that - came the ETSI
/ ITU specified address fields that were used to specify
the use of the many address fields - these were all
coded as  OCTET STRINGs then. Later came the redefinition
of the EXTERNAL type. But the catch is that the proper use
of the EXTERNAL type is/was  the responsibility of the standardi-
sation group responsible- in casu the MAP specifiers.

As implementor there is very little you can do. So we had
to patch a lot. I guess its still true ?

Speaking of European Mobiles - How is the status of the
FAN.1 specification / the CSN encoding scheme ? O&M messages
for the A and Abis interface. Is CSN still in use ?

I had a couple of questions about this from South-East Asia.
I had to redirect these to the CSN owners.

Regards
Steen Oluf Karlsen
Soholtvej 6
Vester Vandet