Randy Kobes wrote:

I think also, at this time, Perl sections have to be written as <Perl > blah </Perl> in mod_perl 2 (with the explicit whitespace in the opening <Perl >).

Surely they're not going to keep that syntax? I hope it's just a temporary bug they haven't gotten around to fixing yet.

Anyway, I tried that, and now the scripts appear to be precompiling, but now httpd is failing to start for a new reason. After the "(re)compiled 20 scripts of 20 loaded..." line, it says:

[Wed May 28 13:05:05 2003] [error] failed to resolve handler `Apache::PerlSection'
Syntax error on line 1059 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Bareword "Apache::OK" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0//i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/PerlSection.pm line 47.!BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0//i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/PerlSection.pm line 58.!Compilation failed in require at (eval 57) line 3.!

UseStrict was set to 1 in my <Files> section, but I tried several syntaxes to either undefine it or set it to something false and that didn't help. I also added "use Apache::compat" to the <Perl> block and that didn't help, either.

Thanks so far for your help, Randy and Josh.