On 2006-12-05 08:15, Fagyal Csongor wrote:
Usually a webpage (at least in our case) consists of the main .asp (.pet, etc.) file plus the additional stuff, like .js, .css and image files. The ration is usually around 1:10 (of course that can vary a lot). It is a huge benefit that these hits do not hit the heavyweight mod_perl server. Also, the front proxy server can have keepalive switched on, runs threaded, very lightweight, only using small memory footprint as compared to the huge mod_perl server.

Also keep in mind that you will end up having a lot of mod_perl-ed Apache instances running unnecessarily because of (realtively) slow clients, which keep your Apache waiting. Again, this is a typicla reverse proxy configuration.

Before we started to use this config, we always had memory problems, having 200+ Apache instances running, which is an overkill. Now we can serve dynamic hits with only 30 Apache1.3 instances, while having somewhere around 400 Apache2.0 available connections.
You are starting to convince me. : ) Now there is some static content that I want to control access to -- but I presume that I can do that in the Apache2 front end, passing those requests to Apache1.3?

The 15:1 connection:Apache1.3 process ratio is certainly very attractive. How many threads per process are you running on the Apache2 front end?

Even though I do not know your application, I am pretty sure this would be a possible alternative for you.

See this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_proxy

There are many white pages and how-to-s on this subject around. I can also give you an example httpd.conf snippet if you are interested.
I'll do some reading, but sample reverse proxy httpd.conf would be much appreciated -- thanks.

Tom