<snip>

> So, you can continue trying to make the thing do what it doesn't want to
> do, or you can move web service to a plain old VPS with a default OS
> install.  Then you'll find that all the instructions start working,
> because the instructions were written with the assumption that you're
> working with a sane OS.
>
> Initially painful?  Oh yes.  Better in the long term?  Much.

</snip>

FWIW, I second this. I have had several hosting packages which used the
Plesk control panel, which promises Apache::ASP support. Inevitably the
Apache::ASP configuration specified in the read-only vhost.conf file
would be wrong. For example, having PerlSetVar Global /tmp, but not
allowing access to /tmp via FTP, so no easy way to create/edit global.asa

While it was possible to ask the hosting provider to make manual changes
to the vhost configuration files, these changes would get lost every
time they upgraded the systems. Plus there was no way for me to restart
Apache if I made a change to a Perl .pm library.

Now have my own server and not looked back since.

Good luck!

-Chris