Yes, the default compliance level is 1.4 according to
http://mojo.codehaus.org/aspectj-maven-plugin/compile-mojo.html#complianceLevel,
 even in the current plugin version 1.7 (you still use 1.5, I recommend an
update there as well, not just in the AspectJ runtime).
--
Alexander Kriegisch
http://scrum-master.de