Title: Re: [Assam] Nice Headline /from AT
R:

Glad to hear of your thoughts.

To give you a short but apropos answer, as far as I am concerned, I am a power hungry person. Isn't that obvious? Did you have to ask me that?

But it is really not about me. I propose this for Assam's betterment. Not that it is a personal ambition for myself ( I left 'India - A Good Place to Leave' --remember?), I am merely expressing it for many others who do not have the voice nor the liberties to express it in so many words.

I propose this because I can read the handwriting on the wall--a gift that I believe I ought not to waste, like many of you other fine and otherwise able people do. It saddens me to see that.

Assam has all the ingredients to better its lot: Resources, talents, a long history of an ability to stand on its own, until the colonialists changed its course. All it needs is the liberty to go retool its mechanisms to make itself over into a modern, progressive, democratic ( unlike desi-demokrasy that is) nation. But for that it needs a course of chemotherapy first. It needs too destroy its cancerous cells and rejuvenate its vitals--its people and their attitudes.

It could have been done as an autonomous entity within a truly federal arrangement in the Indian Union, that the people of Assam trusted India with at independence. But trust was broken by an all powerful, centrally controlled India, which steadily and deliberately destroyed the federal concept. Assam was turned into a colonial holding to be exploited to serve India's interests, while Assam languishes, being used and abandoned.

Rajen, you are a very able and articulate person by any standard.  Why don't you explain to us, how you arrived at your assessments as expressed in your note?

        What and why  you see in these aspirations of Assam I expressed
        as being: