Hi,
Just saw this news about movie Water getting accepted for the first time abroad. I have been sceptical about Deepa Mehta's movie Fire - on lesbianism as a cure for Indian housewife's drudgery - but this movie seems a true portryal of  atleast some of the inmates of hostels of widow/rape victims. I hope someone makes a movie on Devdasi system in the South as well.
http://www.rediff.com/movies/2005/sep/02ajp1.htm

Also I read that female trafficking is the second largest global criminal business worldwide - after drugs. Why not a movie on that? Females from East Asia and East Europe seem to be coming to the West in large numbers. Infact some Russian girls applied for rooms here - landlord later disclosed that Russian Mafia is active in DC supplying Russian blondes to Govt officials etc who come to DC for short stays.

The following rebuttal of Water movie by Swadeshi Jagran Manch person - seems to right up the ally of Sati supporters : http://203.199.83.75/news/2000/mar/31inter.htm
who says that it is no point in raising the issue of plight of some widows just becos some of them like it alone. He gives the example of his own mother who raised him alone but it is likely that she had the resources and the protection of her family. A lot of young widows are left out to fend for themselves. Internationally - such widows and women left by their husbands are the ones who enter prostitution . This Swadeshi Jagran Manch should take a course in Gender studies at Harvard etc - since noone talks about it at length in India atleast.  He should also read about Ishwar Chandra Vidya Sagar - who married a widow in the 19th century and started the widow remarraige movement in Bengal.

Any comments?

Umesh

PS: Maybe some widow committed Sati long ago - out of some sort of strange feelings, as supposedly did the queens of Rajasthan when their husbands were doomed to die fighting and so they got themselves dead by flames --- but in normal circumstances why should a woman have to live a life of misery in a hostel for widows or get her committed to flames - when the men are NOT to?