Yes, thanks for the forward, Neep.

Hi C'da:

>About time the world got a glimpse of India's abiding shame.

And yes, that's right. They should also see this from the article:

"More than a dozen ethnic armies operate here, each with its own separatist agenda. What they share is a deep distrust of Indian soldiers and a sense of apartness. In the half-century of conflict, India has poured in troops and money, but neither seems to have stanched political grievances or everyday misery.

"Our lives are not secure," is how Ng Rashtrapati Singh, an engineer with the state public works department, put it. "You cannot bear the pressure."

Singh was among 200 engineers who quit because of threats from insurgents this summer.

Extortion by guerrilla forces is common. Economic blockades, most recently for two months this summer by the Naga hill tribes demanding a separate homeland, regularly choke the flow of fuel and medicine into the state. In early July, Naga protesters set fire to dozens of government offices across the state.

In April, a mob from another ethnic faction, angered at the use of Bengali rather than Manipuri script in official documents, burned down the state library in Imphal, the state capital, and with it a trove of rare archives; they lie in a half-burned heap on the yard outside.

To make matters worse, heroin addiction and AIDS have cut a devastating swath across Manipur.

Then there is the seething grievance against the Indian troops and paramilitary forces that saturate the state, and particularly against the sweeping powers they are granted by the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, which allows them to search, detain and interrogate anyone suspected of guerrilla activity.

In practice the law, which applies only in the northeast, makes it next to impossible to hold soldiers accountable to a civilian court.

To take any member of the Indian armed forces to court, the central government must give special permission, which it rarely does....."