From: "Alpana B. Sarangapani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], assam@assamnet.org
Subject: RE: [Assam] Study abroad Program at Harvard
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:34:06 -0500

My two paisas' worth on the topic:

'Study abroad' programs not necessarily have anything to do with a university or college of the country that the students are going to. Let me  s'plain.

There are two kinds of Study Abroad programs that I know of (may be there are even more kinds that I am not aware of):

1. The students may attend some "sister colleges" in the country that they are visiting - for a semester or so. The school here would give them the credit for a course, in most cases.

In this case, they INDIVIDUALLY go for a semester or so to other countries and get credit for a course here. They pay the tuition to the attending university in the other country, finish the course there, get the transcript and show it to the school in their home country and get credit for a required course to finish the degree. I met a few in New Zealand who were attending Otago Univ. for a semester. I also know of many who attend different universities in India to get credit for a Study Abroad course here.

[I also know a few professors here from Jordan and other middle eastern countries who attended universities in Mumbai in Accounting and Math that are teaching here in the US. But that is a different matter - they took the whole degree there].

2. They also go as a class, visit historical places, study to learn & appreciate different cultures of the world, take notes, write a term paper and get credit for the Study Abroad course.

A trip like this could cost upto $3000.00 now, in addition to the regular tution that they have to pay to the school here, for that course.

The point is to study outside the classroom and that is, in this case, abroad and get yourself acquainted with other cultures - expand your horizon.