Hi Mayur:

Malabika's comment and my endorsement are not fixations on semantics,
but rejection of a deeply ingrained, but unacceptable cultural
chauvinism that permeates thruout the south Asian subcontinent's many
peoples. It also works in a pac-man-like, the bigger fish eating up
the smaller fry manner.

Ram's analogy to the American milieu is not only a stretch, but a
completely inapplicable analogy.  Why? Because in America political
power is not distributed along ethnic or religious or cultural lines.
True the racial minorities once were held under with overtly
suppressive  methods, but that is in the past.

India's political powers continue to be divvied up along ethnic and
religious lines, and rarely, if ever, along ideological or issue
based  ones. India has unable to break free of this mode, and will
not in the foreseeable future.

In that context, use of terms such as 'main-stream', 'tribal' etc.to
categorize and label people , even without any intention of causing
any harm, perpetuates and tacitly endorses a legitimacy of the
hegemony of numerical majorities along ethnic, language and religious
lines, which could not be more inimical to the realization of the
much touted but far-from-reality 'secular, democratic and federal
republic of India'.

Terms like 'main-stream-India', automatically  sidelines the peoples
of NE India for example and makes them also-ran, not all that
important components. And it is not a figment of insecure minds, but
a well established and demonstrated fact.  Just look at the Haryana
folks' perception of the NE that you spoke of. And they, some of the
most corrupt and violent people in the sub-continent should talk.

Finally, I have another comment on your effort. You are attempting to
evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the people who call Assam
home, using the populations of other parts of India as a benchmark.
Obviously you feel insecure of your own ethnic identity in
comparison, and thus want to pinpoint the areas that might need
improvements, relatively speaking.

First off, it is a lost cause, because you are using a benchmark that
does not exist. It is as nebulous and fictional as one could be.In
our architectural jargon we would call it a 'rubber-scale', one that
could be bent and stretched to fill any need of the user.  Why I say
that is because if you try to quantify the qualities of those other
peoples that you propose to judge those of Assam by
you will immediately find that they would not stand to ordinary
scrutiny even momentarily. If you don't believe me, give it a try and
any number of netters will be able to show you why :-).

Secondly, should anyone attempt to reach higher goals, it is imperative that
they should aim for a sufficiently high aim. Low expectations,
reaching for low standards, is one of the biggest impediments to
growth and achievement. Your using the examples of 'those other
Indians' is such a low-expectations-pursuit. Very much in line with
all those Indian nationalists who go ga-ga over anything that seems
better than Pakistan or B'desh. That I would submit, is nothing less
than a loser's pursuit :-).

Best to you.

cm