Hi Mr Mahanta Da

Thanks for intensifying the academic orientation of
the debate. Whether you accept it or not, academic
discussion sometimes gets stifled under the weight of
its high sounding words. The first weakness indicated
earlier is nothing but a testimony of my deeply
ingrained belief that whatever is observed in the
relationship between the Assamese speakers and other
tribal groups is grossly unjust and unacceptable. So
there can't be any question of any conscious effort to
perpetuate the hegemony of the 'mainstream' over the
'sub streams'. The fact that it was indicated by
someone belonging to the so called 'mainstream' as one
of the weaknesses is proof enough that the person does
now want any perpetuation, rather what he craves for
is ruthless dismantling of that pernicious tendency.

I failed to understand how Ram's analogy is not
tenable as per you. In American social milieu also,
everyone sees the ghost of the 'past' very frequently
and they can't be brushed aside as  sporadic or
isolated occurrences. I think Ram's analogy is fairly
valid.

The very fact that you are attributing some traits to
the people of Haryana goes a long way to show that you
also probably suffer from the same syndrome which you
are consciously trying to dilute or should I say
demolish.

I am startled by your argument that to see something
good in others signify your insecurity vis a vis them.
Going by that logic, a secure individual is one who
always criticises others. That is perhaps the easiest
job in this world. You show a beautiful flower or a
bird to a pathological 'critic'. He will point out 100
minus points in it. Misconception about NE is so well
entrenched in people's minds that, to dispel it fully
is a herculean task. I sincerely believe that given a
chance, one should try to demolish those
misconceptions. That of course does not mean that it
should become be all and end all of life. As regards
my insecurity, I am afraid I have a very strong view.
I am aware of my shortcomings. I do try to rectify
them sometimes. But never ever I let those weaknesses
to give a feeling of inferiority complex vis a vis
others.

I was harping on one point from my first mail that
everything is relative in this world. When everything
is relative, you can't wish away benchmark to judge
them. Benchmark will remain whether we like it or not.
Otherwise many charms of the world will vanish.

My view is that let us give some attention to the
practical aspect of the debate so that loser's pursuit
can be tranformed into a winner's destination. Don't
you feel that LIGHTING A CANDLE IS HUNDRED TIMES
BETTER THAN CURSING THE DARKNESS ?

But thank you Mahanta da for your perspective on the
issue. Would be looking forward to more of it.

regards

Mayur

Malabika's comment and my endorsement are not
fixations on semantics,
but rejection of a deeply ingrained, but unacceptable
cultural
chauvinism that permeates thruout the south Asian
subcontinent's many
peoples. It also works in a pac-man-like, the bigger
fish eating up
the smaller fry manner.

Ram's analogy to the American milieu is not only a
stretch, but a
completely inapplicable analogy.  Why? Because in
America political
power is not distributed along ethnic or religious or
cultural lines.
True the racial minorities once were held under with
overtly
suppressive  methods, but that is in the past.

India's political powers continue to be divvied up
along ethnic and
religious lines, and rarely, if ever, along
ideological or issue
based  ones. India has unable to break free of this
mode, and will
not in the foreseeable future.

In that context, use of terms such as 'main-stream',
'tribal' etc.to
categorize and label people , even without any
intention of causing
any harm, perpetuates and tacitly endorses a
legitimacy of the
hegemony of numerical majorities along ethnic,
language and religious
lines, which could not be more inimical to the
realization of the
much touted but far-from-reality 'secular, democratic
and federal
republic of India'.

Terms like 'main-stream-India', automatically
sidelines the peoples
of NE India for example and makes them also-ran, not
all that
important components. And it is not a figment of
insecure minds, but
a well established and demonstrated fact.  Just look
at the Haryana
folks' perception of the NE that you spoke of. And
they, some of the
most corrupt and violent people in the sub-continent
should talk.

Finally, I have another comment on your effort. You
are attempting to
evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the people
who call Assam
home, using the populations of other parts of India as
a benchmark.
Obviously you feel insecure of your own ethnic
identity in
comparison, and thus want to pinpoint the areas that
might need
improvements, relatively speaking.

First off, it is a lost cause, because you are using a
benchmark that
does not exist. It is as nebulous and fictional as one
could be.In
our architectural jargon we would call it a
'rubber-scale', one that
could be bent and stretched to fill any need of the
user.  Why I say
that is because if you try to quantify the qualities
of those other
peoples that you propose to judge those of Assam by
you will immediately find that they would not stand to
ordinary
scrutiny even momentarily. If you don't believe me,
give it a try and
any number of netters will be able to show you why
:-).

Secondly, should anyone attempt to reach higher goals,
it is imperative
that
they should aim for a sufficiently high aim. Low
expectations,
reaching for low standards, is one of the biggest
impediments to
growth and achievement. Your using the examples of
'those other
Indians' is such a low-expectations-pursuit. Very much
in line with
all those Indian nationalists who go ga-ga over
anything that seems
better than Pakistan or B'desh. That I would submit,
is nothing less
than a loser's pursuit :-).

Best to you.

cm