Title: Re: [Assam] Assam's Ancient Links with Mainland India
Hi Mayur:

At 2:52 AM -0800 11/9/05, mayur bora wrote:
Dear Mahanta da

Here is my response to the points you raised.

1) The total absence of a feeling of bonhomie and
camaraderie among different people  will completely
vitiate the atmosphere and mutual distrust and
acrimony will reach its zenith in sovereign Assam. You
can't put the blame solely on GoI for that.

*** But what about your original contention that it IS, now that is, is Assam's biggest 'weakness'?  How has it gotten to where it is now, as you see it? Under whose control and under the nurturing policies crafted by whom?

I was hoping to give you some help by asking you the question on the concept of 'meles' ( mlecch) , but you did avoid it like the plague, didn't you ? I understand however why you would not touch it.

GoI, incidentally, has  EXPLOITED the growing rifts, that developed only after the colonial powers, first the British, and the subsequent, far more corrosive Indian practices took over.

*** I will like to ask you, how, as an intelligent and informed observer, you see the GoI policies helping the cause of preserving the ethnic identities of these indigenous people of the region? The Indian govt. created the many  states, actually 'dependencies', of the NE, by simple majority votes of a Lok Sabha of 500 where the NE's representation is what, less than 20 , instead of promoting the co-operative, interdependent ethos that sustained them in the centuries past.  These states, with no means to sustain themselves, are now abject dependencies of a Center, showering them with its largesse, creating an illusion they are doing well, but really killing their culture with a Hindi/Hindu one, political invasion, perpetuated with military might.

Is that not the bitter truth Mayur? And you accept if not sing praises of such policies, playing defenders of your indigenous brethrens'  culture?

The only reason I would not call your intent to question here, is because you are,I am sure, just like so many of your peers, ignorant of the realities. I too was so, until recently. Fortunately I read Prof. Sanjib Baruah's book -- Durable Disorder, in which he makes some of these issues very clear. If you are really interested in understanding what has been going on, you cannot not read the
book.

2) Let me accept for arguments sake that I am being
obsequious to some system or culture.

*** I don't understand what you are trying to say. Perhaps a simpler way of expressing yourself would be more helpful for those of us to whom English is only a second language :-). But if you are suggesting that a Hindu culture was indeed instrumental, thru the concept of 'meles', in causing the cultural alienation of the indigenous people of the NE, why can't you admit it?

Why do you qualify it as merely agreeing for argument's sake?

Are you trying to have it both ways?

But you have
already surrendered yourself to a pernicious belief
whose impact will be disastrous for the people for
whom you are acting as spokesman.

*** I am a spokesperson ONLY of myself. I am not a designated representative or spokesperson of anybody. But that is not to suggest others don't agree with me. Because if it were so, those of you who disagree, would not be so wrapped up with denouncing my arguments with fancy words, but without ever being able to explain why or how. It is because you see my arguments making sense and damaging to your cause.

Now what exactly do you see as MY pernicious beliefs that will be  destructive
for those whose views I might be reflecting? And HOW will they be destructive?

I hope you can delineate those, so we can examine the substance of your opinions.

 Worse, you have also
surrendered yourself to sophistry and casuistry in
order to defend your specious arguments.

*** Huh? Are you dropping philosophy on me again here Mayur? I told you I am philosophically challenged. Your effort is akin to" gorur aagot twakar bai-xing jwkari ghanh khai". It means nothing to me, and I doubt to anybody else.

But it will be a different issue with my 'specious' arguments. What are the arguments that I have been making that are specious ( appear sound but are fallacious--for those who are not sure what the word means)? My observations of a decade of Assam Net debates has been that no one gives me an inch, if they can find something incorrect, fallacious, or otherwise untenable. My esteemed opponents here descend on me like a crow over a June bug--as they would say here in the American heartland. The only reason they don't give examples or explain is  because they can't.

You got your challenge for the day Mayur. Prove it. Explain it. And when you do, I will be the first to take it back, eat crow. But fancy words will not take your arguments anywhere.

My servitude
is not harmful for others, but yours can spell havoc
in peoples' lives. Of course you will not be affected.
You will probably be busy dishing out justification
from your armchair for any mishap which is bound to
happen.

*** On the contrary servitude of people like yourself, who less fortunate people look up to, is eminently harmful to their long term well-being. It prevents them from examining what ails their collective lot, keeps them from seeking  better ways, seeking the reforms to their governance they so sorely need.

The fact that I am furnishing explanations, clarifying issues from afar, sitting in my comfortable office  in a safe environment, does not, in way, shape or form, devalue or diminish the merits of the arguments. I am only pointing them out to the interested.

But those of you who disagree, are free to do the same. It is a competition of ideas. But you cannot just deliver verdicts and hope for them to stick, if you cannot furnish ordinary but credible explanations and justifications.

3) I never ruled out exception while listing out
strengths and weaknesses of Assamese . Those things
pertain to majority of the people I am sure you are
intelligent enough to understand that. You are raising
the issue to just for the heck of it  or may be to
make it look like an elaborate refutation. But looks
can be deceptive at times.

**** I have no idea what you speak of. Help!

4) Why you two brothers? Because you two are most
visible and vociferous supporters of sovereign Assam
on assamnet.

**** No argument with that. But what does that have to do with Assam's sovereignty aspirations?  How do you see the rifts among the indigenous people of Assam being an ARGUMENT AGAINST sovereignty? You will need to explain that.
Just the verdict is not enough.

5) Cultural mistrust is one of the many important
reasons why Assam should not think of becoming a
sovereign country. I think I have explained the
reasons several times before.

**** Obviously I missed it. Can you refer me back to it? And if your argument has any validity, is that not an argument AGAINST Indian independence as well? And thus it would be an argument FOR reverting back to a historically independent  Assam , wouldn't it?

Furthermore you cannot credibly dismiss Assam's sovereignty aspirations on this ground if you did not examine whether Indian policies have helped or hindered in reducing these rifts.

Point here is that your argument is entirely baseless. No doubt it presents challenges. But an independent, reformed Assam government holds a far greater possibility of narrowing these rifts and healing them, because:

        *** The various people of Assam would  realize that there would
        be no more Indian bribery to depend on for their future anymore.
        They cannot continue to blame the Center for that 'step-motherly'
        attitude, because it will no longer be able to take Assam's
        resources out to red-distribute it to further its own interests,
        and not necessarily for the  long term interests and betterment
        of the people of the region. If they do not co-operate, they
        would perish -- a very strong incentive to shape up.

        *** There is no better way to for self improvement than to
        take charge of one's own affairs. The Indian attitude of Mai-Baap
        controlling even adult children's lives is debilitating for
        their growth. Those examples are abundant in our midst.

        *** People can hold their government accountable far more effectively
        when it is local. An independent Assam holds the potential for
        constituting a functional and accountable government by adopting
        the best practices from the world, practices that have
        proved successful in other societies.  India however is incapable
        of reforms, as it stands, and as has amply demonstrated over the
        decades.

Let me stick my neck out and place it on record again.
I am the last person to accept that whatever is being
done towards Assam by GoI as fair.

**** That means nothing Mayur. The problem is with the mechanisms thru
which India  continues to exercise such 'unfair' treatment. It is the powers that the Center has steadily USURPED, giving it an aura of 'legality' of 'legitimacy' of its authority to dispense such 'unfairness'. It is further
aggravated by the fact that the contingent of the NE at the lawmaking central body is minuscule, and even that is a highly ineffective one due to the defective Indian electoral mechanisms. In a forum where numbers make the difference, and where the checks and balances of a truly democratic state do not exist, might is right is the ruling ethos.

Unless this could be changed around, there will be no change to Assam's lot.
Unfortunately, it is quite clear to those who are willing to look into it
carefully, that the fractured and mutually distrustful Indian polity, hog-tied and disabled by its own myriad of rules and regulations and dysfunctional instruments of state, are incapable of reforms, of change.

Thus, no amount of registering feeble dissatisfaction with the centralized and remote controllers of Assam's fate will change anything.

 But I also strongly
feel that sovereign Assam will further aggravate the
problems and situation will be messier and stickier
with our peoples' blood. I don't want the
corroboration of that dangerous dream of sovereign
Assam at the cost of terrible bloodshed. Hence my
choice is a conscious one and you may call it as a
selection of the lesser evil out of the two options
available.

*** While I understand your concerns, I don't share them. That is because
I see sovereignty not merely as an end unto itself, not as an icon  to hold on a pedestal, not a flag to wave, but as an as a tool, as an instrument for effecting positive change to Assam's lot.

Take care.

cm

Mayur

=== message truncated ===