Am I missing something here? Dr. Goswami has done a lot of research and I have not. Could someone who has done research in this area point out where the disconnect is?

Dilip Deka

The Assam Tribune online
Guwahati, Thursday, December 29, 2005

‘Assamese culture reached its zenith during Ahom rule’
From Our Correspondent
 JORHAT, Dec 28 – Highlighting the magnanimity of warrior King Chaulung Sukapha in regard to his unique quality of refraining from imposing his diktat on the vanquished, Jnanpith award winner Dr Mamoni Raisom Goswami opined that Assamese culture reached its zenith during the Ahom suzerainty. “Making major inroads into someone else’s culture, or being able to make a significant dent were obviously more difficult tasks than winning wars on the battlefront,” she felt.

Reiterating that, “the Ahom age witnessed a cultural renaissance,” she also remarked that, “co-acting was popularised way back in 1927 at Hajo, whereas it was still an unthinkable proportion in other parts of India at that time.”

The academician-cum-litterateur observed as above yesterday evening after formally releasing a children’s educational VCD titled, Seujia Gaddi produced by Parthasarathi Productions at the conference hall of Hotel More International beside the AT Road here.

Recounting interesting tales from Assam’s chequered history, the intellectual felt, “Joymati’s character was in fact controversial.” Nevertheless, “there was enough scope for producing appealing cinematic work or plays on such subjects.” Mentioning about characters like Phuleswari Kunwari, Rudra Singha, Gaurinath Singha and Lachit Barphukan, she rued, “I am yet to see a lifelike depiction of the great Battle of Saraighat. Is there not a single artist with enough calibre,” she questioned.

Earlier, Dr Paramananda Rajbongshi termed the multifaceted 15th century saint reformer Srimanta Sankardeva as the world’s first ‘art guru’.