Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Assam] Upaai Nai Culture - Sentinel

Hi Santanu,

That was some lucid analysis. In the end I was caught between 'Hobo dia' and 'Upaai nai' :)

>Culturally, I see a move from "Hobo Diok" to "Upaai Nai" as a great sign of progress

Hmm! I don't know. To me it sounds like a whole society has resigned to its fate. Or maybe even like what Barua says,  'Upaai nai' may have become a 'reasonable excuse' for say accepting bribes or something. It is like saying, 'don't blame me, everyone does it, so I too do it'
something more akin to what you are saying:

"it would be stupid of me to eat an orange under these circumstances - it would gravely reduce my personal welfare - it might even be suicidal ."

But I say it is interesting see this cultural shift.

With the best,

Ram da