From: "Roy, Santanu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Malabika Brahma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
assam@assamnet.org
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Assam] What prevents India from holding a plesbicite

C-da:

I agre with all of this. But an armed rebellion is not likely to succeed on its
own.

One needs a civilian political movement above the ground for three reasons.

One, to build up and establish internationally visible political legitimacy for
the demand for secession (this is distinct from the moral legitimacy of the
demand that you allude to).

Second, to articulate and formulate a blueprint for the proposed state in
transparent direct interaction with people. This cannot be done from the
barracks.

Third, and this is far important than all of the above, to actively foster
nation building across the thnic groups in the state. To have a nation state, a
pan-Assam political nationality beyond ethnic identities must emerge. This is
also not possible without a long term civil movement.

My thoughts were in connection with how one might find room for a civil
political movement even within the current political landscape.

In the history of the world, no armed rebellion has been sustained more than
few decades without a definite strong civilian political process above the
ground.

If the demand for secession is based on the fact that Assam and the states of
north east India are colonies of India - then, one must also understand that no
empire minds insurgency or armed rebellion that only affects the colonies. For
them, its a nuisance at worst.

Finally, I do not think the current negotiations are going to lead to any
settlement in the near future.

Santanu.