----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:54 PM
Subject: NON-BRAHMIN PRIESTS

Dear friends,

I request you to post this in as many sites known to you.

With the best wishes,
Himendra Thakur

APPENDIX:

NON-BRAHMIN PRIESTS:
CONTRIBUTION OF INDIANS OF
SOUTH AFRICA
TO INDIA
AFTER  100  YEARS

An open letter to all friends
by
Himendra Thakur

Dear friend,

You will be happy to know that I had a busy time in South Africa from November 26 to December 7, 2005 delivering speeches at meetings organized by Arya Samaj of South Africa in a number of towns on the occasion of their Centenary Conference. I was amazed to realize that the Hindu Community of South Africa had eliminated hereditary caste system. The Hindu Priests in South Africa are not from any Brahmin caste. They are all Sanskrit scholars who may have come from an ancestry of any caste which nobody even bother to ask. Additionally, there are a large number of Women Priests in South Africa whom they call “Panditaa” … right now, there are about 80 Panditaas in South Africa who perform all rituals like yajnas, weddings, death-rites, etc. It is amazing to see their knowledge of scriptures and the Sanskrit language.

Naturally, in my speeches, I humbly expressed that I had very little to “tell” them, but I had a lot of things to “learn” from them. “What happened? How did you get rid of the hereditary caste system? How did you accept the idea of non-brahmin priests ? How did you accept the idea of women priests ?” were my questions to them in every meeting. After the official conclusion of the Conference on December 4, I went out to interview priests, priestesses and social leaders on December 5, 6 & 7 to find out the answers to my questions.

CONTRIBUTION OF SOUTH AFRICAN INDIANS TO INDIA and TO THE WORLD:
Mahatma Gandhi was Mohandas Gandhi when he guided the Indians of South Africa to perfect the technique of “Non-Violent Struggle” between 1906 and 1915. Thereafter, Gandhi took the idea to India. After a limited success in Champaran in 1917, Mahatma Gandhi tried the technique of “Non-Violent Struggle” at an All India level in the 1920-1921 Civil Disobedience Movement. But he failed. India was not yet ready. It took 10 more years for India to succeed in an application of the technique of “Non-Violent Struggle” in the Salt March of Mahatma Gandhi in 1930. We must recognize that the Indians of South Africa were the first to perfect the technique of “Non-Violent Struggle” under the guidance of Gandhi. It was their contribution not only to India but to the entire world.

Elimination of the hereditary caste system, introduction of non-Brahmin priests, introduction of women priests will be the second set of contribution of Indians of South Africa to India after one hundred years. I have, therefore, invited them to come to India and join our Conference in Kanyakumari in December 2006 and tell India how they achieved these goals. If they can do it South Africa, we can definitely do it in India.

They have accepted my invitation. We are hoping to receive a large delegation of scholars, professionals and activists from South Africa (and also from Mauritius Island) including a large number of Panditaas (women priests) at the December 2006 Conference in Kanyakumari. After the Conference, we should be able to take them to various cities and towns of India where they will be able to share their experience with the people of India.

I request you and your organization to join at this historic effort. For details, please contact me.

With the best wishes,
Himendra Thakur
President "Antarjyoti"
115 Bhanot Cetre, Paschim Vihar