Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:25 PM
Subject: Eighth International Conference Against Dowry, Female Feticide & Son-Preference in India

Ms Patricia Mukhim

Dear Patricia,

I am happy to read your article in "The Statesman" about women in the Northeastern part of India where there is no dowry system.

Since this is something unique in India where 25,000 brides are "killed or maimed" every year over dowry disputes, will you be interested to participate at the "Eighth International Conference Against Dowry, Female Feticide & Son-Preference in India" to be held on December 27, 28 & 29, 2006 in Kanyakumari ?

Please contact Professor Werner Menski of the University of London (School of Oriental and African Studies) and Dr. Gopalakrishnan Karunanithi of Manonmaniam University, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu about the content of your paper. I am sending a copy of this letter to them, and also to the organizer of the Conference.

I'll be very thankful if you contact me as soon as possible.

With the best wishes,
Himendra Thakur
President "Antarjyoti"
and
Chair, Board of Directors, International Society Against Dowry & Bride-Burning in India, Inc.
Boston, USA

Telephone: USA-617-922-3651