> Due to huge influx of Hindi-speaking people, due to tens of 24/7 Hindi
> TV channels, radio stations, slowly Assam is being Hindi-ized. Is that
> not also slow disappearance of Assamese?........If Hindi's expansion is not controlled,
> it will spell the deathknell for Assamese.....> Bangladeshis came in huge numbers to Assam till the late 70s, possibly
> the 80s.  Most of the so-called Bangladeshis came in Sadulla's time,
> about a hundred years ago. ....> However, the trend in the 90s, 00s is that Hindi is slowly taking over.
> It's not that Bengali taking over Assamese electronic media, it's Hindi
> taking over the electronic space of Assam completely. By electronic
> space I mean cable TV and other emerging media. Those who have
> foresight will see that such electronic media will inundate Assam in

Looks like we Assamese have a serious problem.  The problem is we Assamese are confused as to who is our real enemy. We are confused what is our real problem.  One of the main reasons why Oxom Gono Adwlon  (OGA) failed was because the student leaders failed to assure the minority non Assamese groups living in Assam that the agitation was not against them.  The non Assamese speaking Minority groups saw inside the confused Assamese mind and did not feel secure. For Assamese fears such as above, they realized that in the name of illegal immigrants, the agitation was actually against all non Assamese speaking people.  The non Assamese sensed exactly the above confusion inside the Assamese mind.  This has devastating affect on the overall movement, because very soon this fear went inside the Assamese sub ethnic groups.  The AASU-AGP group split into sub ethnic groups. The split went so far as that finally the Bodo student groups openly declared that they were in fact not Assamese.  They asked the same question to the Assamese brothers that the Assamese were asking others. You are talking of wearing Assamese Mekhekla Saddor, singing Assamese Bihu, but how many of you Assamese wear the Bodo dress, sing a Bodo Bihu song or even try to learn Bodo language ?  Your Oxom Xahityo Xobha is nothing but an Assamese Xahityo Xobha.  So we will have our own Bodo Xahityo Xobha, our own Bodo Student groups, bye bye.   Eventually the OGA failed. The rest is history.

Yes we Assamese have manifold problems.  But only way we can overcome these problems is for us to think clearly, coolly,  logically and rationally and not emotionally.

Yes the illegal immigration from Bangladesh is our # 1 serious problem. That we donot see any solution does not dissolve the problem away. Nor should we try to undermine the problem like in above emotional and immature thinking.

The overwhelming Hindi culture is also a problem.  We all need cultural protection. But need to be analyzed and addressed completely differently.

Corruption is a problem.

Under development is a problem

All are our problems, and all need to be addressed separately, logically and rationally.

It is an escapist mentality if someone, overwhelmed with these problems, donot want to discuss these problems and suddenly try to declare that GOI is our problem and offer a magic solution that once Assamese become independent, all our problems will be resolved. Because that declaration is not based on any logic or rational. It is based on pure emotion and slogan.

Rajen Barua