From: "Rajen Barua" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <assam@assamnet.org>
Subject: [Assam] WITH MAGH BIHUR WLOG AND XUBHESSA TO EVERYBODY
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:42:23 -0600

Today is Assamese Magh Bihu:

On this occasion, I am attaching an article written by me on the significane of the Bihus in Assam.
We have been told from our childhood that we Assamese have 3 Bihus: Bohag Bihu, Kati Bihu and Magh Bihu.
But we also had a fourth Bihu which was called the Xaun Bihu (Summer Bihu) which the Assamese have lost and have forgotten about it.
In fact the only reference to this Bihu I found was in a footnote of a book written by the great Assamese scholar Dimbeswar Neog.  Since the Bihus have astronomical significane, I was always curious why we don't have a fourth Bihu. Finding the much needed reference of the fourth Bihu, I was able to connect the dots in the astronomical map and prepare this article, "Four Assamese Bihus and their Astromonomical Significane'. The article was published in Assam Tribune under a different name and without  the Astronomical chart I have included here.

In the article, I have also made the notation that the Assamese (as well as the Hindu) Calender is off by 24 days from the Tropical Calender followed in the West, for instance, this Bihu was supposed to have been occured on the Winter Solstice (Makar Sankranti) which was actually 21st December, but we celebrate it on 14th January. This gap (or lag) occuers due to the precession of the earth (the earth wobbles) which the Hindu Calender need to adjust to.

Critical comments are welcome.

XOKOLW   RAIJOLOI    MAGH   BIHUR   WLOG   ARU   XUBHESSA  JONALW

Rajen Barua
Houston