Title: Re: [Assam] When People Defy-Sentinel Editorial
Hi Ram:

>It is only the people who can teach our self-styled insurgents a few good lessons.

*** First, that damned English language thang acting up again .

Self-styled insurgents? What an oxymoron! 'Insurgent' is an euphemism to describe a rebel. It is a term used by others on those who rebel. Some in Assam Net and desi-media also use the term 'terrorist', but again, because of a serious language problem. They are unable or unwilling or both to  differentiate between a rebel and a terrorist.

I will pass on the rest of the sentence and whatever it might be attempting to convey.

>Insurgency in this region, having metamorphosed into a lucrative extortion industry, has silenced the people for quite some time now (Sentinel)

Would you disagree with that statement?

*** Yes I would. Because it attempts to single out the rebels for extortion while it attempts to hide the govt. perpetrated extortion  : Of the Center looting Assam's resources with little or no compensation, and letting whatever is returned as development grants be either squandered thru mismanagement or being misappropriated to enrich a few, mostly outsiders. As I see it, it is reverse Robinhoodism, stealing from the many to enrich a few.

It is not just a matter of patriotism though. What it matters is a now-redefined pragmatic way of living through the legacy of our founders. This requires people to understand the implications of "independence" and "republic". (Sentinel)

and this one above.

*** I tried to understand what the writer was trying to say. I give up. Perhaps it is MY ESL problem this time. What do you think?

>Now that the people know who is what and how the ULFA wants to destroy the Assamese-Indian essence, the ULFA would do well to begin with a few good lessons on democracy and republicanism. In fact, for peace to usher in, the ULFA must first understand that the patriotic people (who matter ultimately) are defying its diktats, and then it must have a little bit of sense to abandon its cosy Bangladeshi home s. (Sentinel)

Could it be, that the Ulfa, in its euphoric campaign of bombings & mayhem, has somehow forgotten its original goals?
Its goal of a peaceful, prosperous, independent homeland for the Assamese - has it been somehow thrown by the wayside?

>>Now that the people know who is what and how the ULFA wants to destroy the Assamese-Indian essence

What on earth does this mean? What is "the Assamese-Indian essence"? Not some perfume is it ? Ogoru tel perhaps?  What else can be an Assamese Indian essence?

>the ULFA would do well to begin with a few good lessons on democracy and republicanism.

*** The Sentinel trying to teach ULFA about democracy? That is funny. The editorial could have made a difference however by explaining what democracy is, or what its concept of democracy is, and how it is serving Assam's interest as it stands under Indian rule. That would be educational. But it could also be damning, if we go by what we can surmise Sentinel's concept of democracy to be.

>In fact, for peace to usher in, the ULFA must first understand that the patriotic people (who matter ultimately) >are defying its diktats,

*** Peace does not usher in by itself on all fours. It is usually ushered in , by other agents, namely feuding parties ( sorry, I know it is mean, a low blow on my part, but I couldn't resist this Ram--the language is killing me!).

Patriotic people is defying its diktat? Who exactly are these 'patriotic people'?   Those who attended the Jan. 26 festivities? How many? Do they represent ALL the people of Assam? Or is it something the Sentinel KNOWS as a divinely bestowed knowledge? It will surely be interesting to find out fr sure, won't you think?

> and then it must have a little bit of sense to abandon its cosy Bangladeshi home s.

*** I see. Noble advice I am sure. But do I detect a tone of sophomoric taunting
here? Tsk, tsk! Them cowards! Don't even have the courage to fight an asymmetrical war with a much more powerful enemy face to face in its opponents terms and turf, instead hiding out in comfy B'desh!

I don't know Ram! My gut feel is that this bit of editorial gem must have emanated from a junior member of the editorial staff, in a hurry to meet a deadline or some such thing.

c-da

t 5:29 PM -0600 1/27/06, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
C'da,

Its the Sentinel, and they are kind to sometimes :)

I think, the ed. did bring out several issues (you will of course forgive them the hubris).

Insurgency in this region, having metamorphosed into a lucrative extortion industry, has silenced the people for quite some time now (Sentinel)

Would you disagree with that statement?

It is not just a matter of patriotism though. What it matters is a now-redefined pragmatic way of living through the legacy of our founders. This requires people to understand the implications of "independence" and "republic". (Sentinel)

and this one above.

and this last part:

Now that the people know who is what and how the ULFA wants to destroy the Assamese-Indian essence, the ULFA would do well to begin with a few good lessons on democracy and republicanism. In fact, for peace to usher in, the ULFA must first understand that the patriotic people (who matter ultimately) are defying its diktats, and then it must have a little bit of sense to abandon its cosy Bangladeshi home s. (Sentinel)

Could it be, that the Ulfa, in its euphoric campaign of bombings & mayhem, has somehow forgotten its original goals?
Its goal of a peaceful, prosperous, independent homeland for the Assamese - has it been somehow thrown by the wayside?

What do you think C'da? Has the organization taken a different hue after so many years on the run?

--Ram

On 1/27/06, Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So what do YOU think of the substance of the editorial Ram?

You care to share?

On my part, what can I say? Xurujor mukhot xwpa diboloi moi kwn (Who am I to tell the sun not to shine) :-)?

c-da

At 2:40 PM -0600 1/27/06, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
C'da,

The Sentinel is back at it again :)

"and by doing so they sent out a clear message: that guns cannot still the patriotic voice any more, and more so when it comes to globalized times as of now" - The Sentinel

--Ram

When People Defy
t is only the people who can teach our self-styled insurgents a few good lessons. Insurgency in this region, having metamorphosed into a lucrative extortion industry, has silenced the people for quite some time now. It is a good sign, then, that the people of Assam defied the ULFA's decree on the Republic Day, and by doing so they sent out a clear message: that guns cannot still the patriotic voice any more, and more so when it comes to globalized times as of now. It is not just a matter of patriotism though. What it matters is a now-redefined pragmatic way of living through the legacy of our founders. This requires people to understand the implications of "independence" and "republic". One great realization that must dawn on us is that republican democracy, as India really is, offers tremendous freedom to protest what we dislike and agitate when our rights are trampled upon. The Assam agitation was a classic case- mind it, it was not any insurgency! Our founders, democrats that they were in the real sense, would like the future generations to protest and agitate, if at all needed, for the sake of democracy itself, but no one would really tolerate organizations like the ULFA. The ULFA's idiocy in understanding democracy is clear from the way it terrorizes its own people. Now that the people know who is what and how the ULFA wants to destroy the Assamese-Indian essence, the ULFA would do well to begin with a few good lessons on democracy and republicanism. In fact, for peace to usher in, the ULFA must first understand that the patriotic people (who matter ultimately) are defying its diktats, and then it must have a little bit of sense to abandon its cosy Bangladeshi homes.