Rajib Baruah raised the issue of Xonkordew and his
creation of Brajabuli to write the religious tomes he
translated from Sanskrit. Rajib also tried to compare
Xonkordew's use of Brajabuli to the omnipresence of
Hindi--a foreign language to Assam, in the drawing
rooms, porticos, bed rooms, and bihutolis of current
Assam.

The main difference between the two situations the way
I see it is  the order of magnitude. In Xokordew's
time, maybe, 1 in a 1000 or 1 in 10,000 could read and
write. The outlets for visual medium for the comoon
folk consisted of singing and dancing and theaters.
For this also, one had to go to a performance of some
kind, maybe, go to a namghor to see a bhawna.

Now-a-days, electronic media---TV/cable and the
Internet are all-pervasive. TV/cable in Assam have
already assumed omnipresence, being everywhere.
Assamese is missing more or less completely from this
medium in all places, in Assam itself.
It's all Hindi/Hindi/Hindi, 20-40 channels of Hindi in
cable TV in Guwahati/Nagaon/Tezpur/etc., and all over
Assam and not one single full-time Assamese or local
language channel. And, this medium of TV comes to ones
intimate environs such as the drawing room, the
bedroom, the pakghor, the portio; one doesn't usually
have to go to a namghor or a place of performance to
see these. In the electronic medium of Internet, which
is going to become all-pervasive in Assam also soon
like in the rest of the world, Assamese as pointed out
by Saurav and me several times earlier, Assamese more
or less doesn't exist.

Compared to Brajabuli of 550-600 years ago and Hindi
on TV and cable, the differences are orders of
magnitude of pervasiveness and ease of access. If
Brajabuli could make so much of differnce to Assam's
society in the course of a few decades or a few
centuries, imagine how much change all-pervasive
TV/cable and Internet could do to Assam's society in
the course of a few decades or a century.

If the onslaught of foreign language (Hindi/English)
media in the all-pervasive and instantly-available
electronic space is not coutered swiftly and in a
decisive manner, Assam's identity is in peril since
this identity derives from a language.

Jugal