>The same report as seen in THe Assam Tribune tells a different tale. Which is correct?

Which one do you want to believe/trust, C'da? Why shouldn't you cherry-pick as usual? :):)

--Ram

On 1/31/06, Chan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The same report as seen in THe Assam Tribune tells a different tale. Which is correct?

UPA likely to take up river-linking project
From Our Staff Correspondent
  NEW DELHI, Jan 30 - The much-hyped river inter-linking project may not be put in the cold storage by the UPA Government, with the newly-inducted Minister of Water Resources, Prof Saifuddin Soz today maintaining that the project was achievable. Talking to newsmen soon after joining his new assignment Soz, however, played safe on most of the contentious issues. On the river-linking project, the minister said efforts were needed and it was possible to connect some rivers.

Referring to the differences between the States over the issue, Soz said that he proposed to open fresh negotiations with Chief Ministers of the State to work out a solution to connect the rivers. "If need be I may even convene a meeting with the State Water Resources Ministers," he said, adding that dialogue was going to be the key word.

The Minister interestingly finds himself in an awkward position because when he was in the opposition, he happened to be bitter critic of the project. But today he rejected claims that inter-linking project was not achievable goal.

The river-linking project launched with much fan-fare by the previous NDA regime has been all but discarded by the UPA on the ground that it was unworkable. However, it was later decided to take up the Project phase wise, with peninsular component taking precedence over the Himalayan one.

Last year the project got a big boost when the Ken-Betwa River Link was signed between Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. A Detailed Project Report (DPR) on the proposal is being prepared.

Meanwhile, Soz has turned down demand for payment of royalty for water. "It is not correct to ask for royalty on water," he said. The water after-all is for use within the country and resources should not get wasted, he argued.