Here are two more letters (Sentinel) on the subject. One wonders why the GOA was in such a haste to pass this all too important resolution. Changing the name itself is the easy part. The more difficult part is the acceptance and ease of use. Further, one has to also consider if changing the name to Asom will actually be realized in any real benefits (intrinsic or otherwise).
_____________________

Asom Now?
So, our State has now become 'Asom' or 'Axom'! We have cast off a hated Raj legacy. The opinion of a well-known author has come at the most opportune time for our popular government to give another 'gift' to the people of the State by putting its seal on it through a Cabinet decision. But was any pubic opinion sought on the subject? Is public opinion being sought on the subject? Is public opinion totally inconsequential in a democracy?
As on earlier occasions, our people from various strata of society seem to have lapped up this change without so much as an argument. Perhaps we want to be different from the rest of the 'Argumentative Indians'! That three of our metros have changed their names, is good enough argument to change the name of our State? Is it indeed our topmost priority?
We have done precious little to pull our society out of the abysmal depth of corruption and have, in effect, given indirect approval to it by giving those corrupt people undue importance in the society. Corruption and inefficiency have irretrievably damaged the educational system which has ruined the future of countless young talents of the State, forcing the few who can afford to go outside the State to fly off. And yet we have not been able to reform anything, except some knee-jerk reaction as we witnessed during the recent HSLC episode.
Ours is a State with composite culture and a variety of languages and ethnic overtones. Have we spared a thought as to how our various ethnic groups will react to this change? We have, in the past, witnessed the horrendous consequences of forcing things on others. History repeats itself because we do not learn the lessons of history. After so many years of the Official Language Act, we have not been able to implement it in the government offices and establishments. Let us ask ourselves: why?
People find it difficult to tolerate any discordant note on a matter of public sentiment. And yet I cannot help asking myself as to what are the 'pluses' and 'minuses' of this decision. On the plus side, we shall have the satisfaction of feeling that the true ethnic meaning of the name will be expressed by 'Asom', although for all practical purposes we use the words "Asom" and "Asomiya", at times even in English. But nationally and internationally, our State is known as Assam with all its special virtues. After all, as Shakespeare said, what's in a name?
On the minus side, a whole lot of controversies will arise over the spelling of 'Asom' (Axom) and 'Asomiya' (Axomiya). Besides, some non-Asomiya may pronounce these words in ridiculous ways and may make a caricature of it all. This will harm the well-established reputation of things like Assam silk or Assam tea both nationally and internationally. A phenomenal amount will have to be spent in changing various records, documents, bill boards etc in government, semi-government, private offices and institutions leading to loss of valuable time and precious government revenue and private resources. In fact, the reaction of the various ethnic groups will be for us to see.
All this coming from an insignificant person like me, may not generate any public debate. For all I can think, this letter may not even be published! But this will certainly help me in letting at least a part of the great frustration out of my system.
Robin Borthakur,
Jalannagar, Dibrugarh-786005

From Assam to Asom
I trust this letter would be an additional help in clarifying the issues that are involved in renaming Assam.
The difficulty arises because we carried on with ''Assam'' as the British colonial power decided to write during their rule. It is well known that the British are apt in Anglicizing names. It is unfortunate that the word ''Assam'' has remain stuck for such a long time. But at the same time, now that we have an Assamese diaspora and better knowledge of English phonetics, it is perhaps easier now to put the long-awaited modification using linguistic logic wisely.
Now the wind of change is blowing for something positive and we must be careful to avoid slip-ups and attempt our best to give consistency in reproducing our sounds using the Roman script.
The vowel 'a' produces the 'aw' sound only in one cardinal IPA phonetic position. If one uses the IPA phonetic script, the Assamese first vowel can be consistently produced. It is not practical to use phonetic script in daily use, and at the same time, is it not more simple to use 'aw' or with a little compromise use the vowel 'o' to avoid foreigners taking their pick how to say the 'a' sound in our language? We must bear in mind that currently we use 'a' to represent our second vowel too ( i.e. aa).
For the second letter of the word, i.e the 32nd letter of the Assamese consonants, 'kh' was used by Dr. David Wade in his history book An Account of Assam' such as Khaikia in place of Saikia; and this has been used in recent times even by some Assamese writers (Jahnu Borua: Khagoroloi Bohu Dur) Phonetically, it is a voiceless velar fricative sound. When one produces the perfect sound, some warm air can be felt coming out at the end of the sound. Slavic/Welsh/Gaelic use 'ch', Russians 'kha' and Spanish 'j' to produce a similar sound. In experimenting with English speakers this writer has positively identified that 'kh' indeed produces a voiceless velar fricative sound. However, in the South-Asian context 'kh' has been adopted to represent the second alphabet (Kkh is closer) in our consonants. Therefore, unless the majority wishes to use 'kh' for the 32nd consonant and modify writing of the second consonant to 'kkh', obviously there are practical difficulties. The idea of 'X' has been in vogue for a long time and has been used by Assamese scholars in the past. Phonetically it is recognised as a voiceless velar fricative and placed in IPA-140 position. The letter 'S' does not produce a voiceless fricative sound and the choice would be wrong. Actually 'S carries the 6th & the 7th Assamese consonants. (They both sound the same).
Apart from the modification of the name of the place, in my opinion. I think in place of Assamese language we need to officially remove 'Assamese' and write as Awxomeeya/Oxomeeya language. This will serve a great purpose in these hours of stress.
Dr M Hazarika,
England.