Amlan-da,

Just what I heard - not that I say it is true. As I said no study has been done about it.  Also, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Don't give that humbug that everything in every society is good and above board exept that when practiced in Hindu faith.

The article below from AT raises the issue that animal sacrifice debases humans and stops them rising to higher feelings. The argument given by many I presented - is that those who practice animal killings are more sub human than others. So go ahead and say that from tomorrow onwards you are going to engage in butchery of animals - Kamakhya style --since it would have only spiritually uplifting non violent effect on you. Do you support Kamakhya animal sacrifice or oppose it -- then why don't you do the same to animal sacrifices of other faiths -aren't you a secularist?

It is easy to preach from the ivory towers about what is right (or diplomatic) or are you ready to conduct a study on the effect of religious animal sacrifices on human psyche. As a student you need to be objective and believe in the freedom of _expression_ and use of logic.

Quotes from the article below -disprove them if you can:

"The brutal animal sacrifices that are so shamelessly resorted to in
> the Kamakhya temple tarnishes the fair name of Hinduism. By reducing
> the Goddess into a blood-thirsty deity, they have reduced Hinduism
> into a primitive faith not worth practising. The brutality of the
> animal sacrifice has no doubt killed the finer sensibilities of the
> ones who patronize it. Having stained their hands, they no longer
> remain human."

"A place made infamous for the barbaric practice of animal
> sacrifices cannot be the abode of the ever-loving mother Goddess. No
> Goddess would ever thirst for the blood of her own creation. People
> who indulge in such killings have no respect for life and ought to
> be treated with contempt."

Pak-Hindu Interview

Further, today I had a chance to talk to a Pakistani Hindu woman now in Washington, DC with her family. She cleared many doubts but raised new ones. She works at the day-care center where I was subbing today - on other days I had been subbing becos she was ill.

Initially I thought she was a muslim as her name was Westernised Spanish looking. Her repeated references to her family and her mentioning her children's names - made me realize that she might be a Hindu.

I further asked her about the situation of Hindus in Pakistan - relating the case of my aunt who ran with her family from East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) in 1971. I mentioned that my aunt's family members who chose to remain in Bangladesh (due to family property incl factories, cinema halls etc) dress like mulims when they come out of their houses incl the women.

She said "ofcourse I too dressed in blanket while coming out of the house. If they see us wearing (she pointed to her forehead - about wearing the 'dot' or bindi ) they throw stones at us."
Further, "not all muslims are bad many are good and help you but those on the street or those who go in the demonstrations are the ones who cause problems."

(I then remembered Kashmir's rare images I saw on the Net incl a poster and a photo of 10,000 demonstrators who reportedly were crying that Hindus leave the Valley but leave your daughters behind --ofcourse the millions of Kashmiri Hindus are obliged -now refugees in rest of India )

I asked what is the situation in big cities - is this an issue only in rural or small town areas - I had assumed that such problems could only exist in such places.

She said, " I am from Karachi!!" -- FYI Karachi is the former capital of Pakistan and its largest city perhaps - a  sea port in Pakistani Gujarat.

The I said that my aunt's relatives in Bangladesh are rumoured to have converted to Islam or are not allowed to have Hindu images in their homes.

She said, " No -- we do have Hindu temples but when there is religious tensions they destroy our temples like 3-4 years ago the Hanuman temple was torn down and before that the Shiva temple."

I said we never hear these news.

She said, "they suppress these news."

Also, she added "There is a rule that muslims can marry into Hindu families but Hindus cannot marry into Muslim families -unless they convert to Islam. " We were speaking in Hindi/Urdu so translation would be that Muslim youth can marry a Hindu girl and take her into his family but a Hindu household cannot take in a muslim bride.

I asked whether it was the law.

She said, "No but thats how it is."

She added , "Here in Virginia also a muslim girl wanted to marry a Hindu boy and her parents did not like it. One day when they were away the girl asked the boy to meet her at her house. They killed him."

My note: ofcourse it could be becos any boy turning up at a girl's house might raise the girl's family's temper.

I then told her about the famously banned  Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen who wrote about a Bangladeshi Hindu family in her book "Shame" or "Lajja" --where the Hindu boy wants to marry his muslim girlfriend but her parents want him to convert to Islam first. He refuses and she marries someone else. His sister has to pay the price.  For more check the book --banned in West Bengal also - by secularist, Communist govt of Indian state.

Maybe some might find my writing about this interview as anti-secularism.

Any comments?

Umesh

Amlan Saha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
you reach new depths with every email of yours. i have never read
anything more illogical and rubbish than that!

Amlan Saha
Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy / Harvard Law School
160 Packard Ave, Medford, MA 02155
Tel: +1 857 928 6824