Dear Rajib, Umesh and Bhuban,

Thanks for your input about Charvaka.

“Sanatana Path” (called "Hinduism" by many) being open-minded, Charvaka was not ignored.  My this letter is not a reply of all the wonderful points that you have raised. I am still trying to study more about Charvaka with my limited capacity. I invite everybody to join in this discussion because this may have an influential impact on the rise of "selfishness" in modern life.

In Mahatma Gandhi’s country of “Tena tyaktena bhunjithah” “live with renunciation” (Isha Upanishad 1/1) why is greed reestablished today as the driving force in economy that ignores taking care of each other ?

Lokasangraha of Bhagavadgita is to run the world selflessly by taking care of each other in the society with affection, compassion, love  and truth, the daivi sampada that Shrikrishna enunciated in Bhagavadgita. This was accentuated by  Jesus in 1 Corinthians 13, which was concluded with His  famous saying : Now abideth Trust, Hope, Love, these three; but the greatest of these is Love.

These principles sustain life. Does the principle of Charvaka, or the principle of modern  selfishness promoters like Vilfredo Pareto (1848-1923), sustain life?

Surprisingly, Sanatana Path does not indoctrinate. It tries to discuss the pros and cons of all the alternatives. Choice is open. The wrong path brings destruction.

Rajen Barua made a very valid point “The truth is that the world is running on its own automatically eternally without any operator controlling it. It is running under the Law of 'karmic cause and effect' …”

If the planet earth with the entire humankind is turned into dust particles, the universe --- the “world” --- will still be “running on its own automatically eternally without any operator” ---- so it maybe an intelligent choice to go for those principles that sustain life, without decorating “selfishness” with trappings such as “truthful, integrity, freedom”  “work hard and enjoy the fruits of his labor..”

Enjoy what? The everlasting enjoyment is renunciation. Work hard, but don’t let work bind the worker. Work hard, but work to take care of others, because such work does not bind the worker. Such work begins with taking care of the family, but once the children are on their own feet, work for the society ---- the study of daivi sampada and asuri sampada in Bhagavadgita Chapter 16 will be very pertinent at this point. I request the netters to bring up the 24 verses of the Chapter 16 into the discussion.

With love to everybody,

Himendra