http://specials.rediff.com/news/2006/jun/15sld4.htm this guy did 9 years of training -from RIMC to NDA to IMA -like my father. My father resigned from army after 15 years of service -even before due for retirement -to start a non profit in education and development.

another compares IMA favorably with French Military Academy -esp of teaching STress & Time Management

http://specials.rediff.com/news/2006/jun/15sld2.htm

umesh sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

umesh sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
As a counterpart of USA's elite West Point -India's IMA is unique because there is no univ. counterpart (such as Harvard or Yale etc for the US one) to match its glamour and appeal. It is perhaps the only Indian training inst. which really looks and works like a top global one http://specials.rediff.com/news/2006/jun/12sld6.htm

I do not  know much about US military adacemies for school age students but India's RIMC ( ww.rimc.org ) has produced Militray Chiefs for both India and Pakistan.
National Defense Academy http://nda.nic.in/ s perhaps the real Indian counterpart for West Point -since cadets join it right after high school (my father joined it right after clearing Senior Cambridge exam of grade 10 [papers checked in Cambridge UK?] while at RIMC ). In my father's time IMA grads did not get any certificates recongnized by Univ. Grants Commission so he is still a Matriculate only - now the IMA grads get a bachelors degree.

That causes trouble when Edu Board comes to visit for inspection and wants to meet the founder director (who is just grade 10 pass - though teaches students upto grade 10 level and even beyond sometimes -like in Phy -learning new topics by himself with help from fellow teachers) . The female principal who is a masters grad in Math (M.Sc, B.Ed.) and teaches high school math is thus obliged to act as the school boss -in front of authorities. She is married to a Punjabi Sikh though hailing from a local Jaipur "so-called" Brahmin family. She is working on her English since she studied in a local Hindi medium school --unlike my father who is fluent since childhood - it was compulsory for every student to speak only in Englsih at RIMC  --even grade 6 ones. So it is compulsory to speak English for school students even at jaipur School - after grade 3 -however broken. Accent is ofcourse different from the US or UK one.

It seems in US the army authorities come to Univs to enlist officers etc - on ROTC -right then and there (something NCC - National Cadet Core in India)  -only open to US citizens though. http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/06.08/24-rotc.html

In India they have to clear the entrance exam and then granted some extra advantage becos of their NCC experience at interview for joining the armed forces - it is not easy to get in 13,000 posts stil vacant. Maybe in US also they have to pass the tests beforehand and enlisted at their univ only after they qualify.

Any comments ?

Umesh

Umesh Sharma
5121 Lackawanna ST