Dream university is closer to reality
June 18: The masterplan for the proposed Srimanta Sankardev University at the 15th century saint-reformer’s birthplace, Batadrava, is expected to be ready by the end of this month.
Sources said Srimanta Sankardev Sangha would be spending Rs 10 crore during the first phase of the first such project in this central Assam district.
“The five-member masterplan committee will submit its report to our central committee. As many as 10 sub-committees have been formed for tasks such as designing of the proposed university building, preparation of syllabi for different courses and settling administrative and legal issues,” Ratul Bora, joint secretary of organisation, said.
Srimanta Sankardev Sangha has requested Dispur for a 128.6-hectare plot of government land. Work on the campus will begin immediately after the plot is handed over to the organisation.
Until the completion of the university campus, postgraduate courses in religious philosophy, dance, music, literature and Sattriya culture will be conducted in temporary buildings at Batadrava.
“Diploma and certificate courses will be introduced in phases. Through these courses, we hope to ease the unemployment problem in the state. Srimanta Sankardev Sangha’s padadhikar will be the chancellor of the university,” Bora said.
Masterplan committee member Sanjib Borkotoky said Srimanta Sankardev Sangha had been managing 65 secondary educational institutions with a fair degree of success. “In future, these will be upgraded to colleges under the university. There will be only a few science departments as formal post-graduate science courses are common in other universities. Our aim is to impart education of a different kind,” he said.
The organisation intends to raise funds for the proposed complex mainly through donations. “Our organisation has 85 lakh general members and if each household gives Rs 100, that would be the greatest form of support to complete the project,” said a senior member of Batadrava Than.
A museum containing manuscripts written on the bark of trees, exquisite masks and dresses used in traditional dramas and musical instruments dating back to the 15th century will be opened to the public at Batadrava this year itself.
The museum is part of the art and culture ministry’s Rs 17.26-crore project to turn Sankardev’s birthplace into the hub of Sattriya culture and preserve relics from the days when the patron saint of the Assamese used one-act plays to bring about social change.

Do you Yahoo!?