I learnt from a visa contractor that his first and last case of visa refusal was of a Singaporean whose govt did not give him the required No Objection Certificate to be able to work in USA as software consultant ---and that is after USA has a Free Trade Agreement with SIngapore and Chile (and 7,000 out of 65,000 H-1B visas are kept for these two nations -and routinely few apply from these nations).

Seems Singapore is afraid that if they all take H-1B visas then who will work in the city-state. I think SIngapore is run by some Chinese guy whose father was the chief before him.

Umesh

Rajib Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I could not describe Singapore better!!!! Even if
someone spends a few days and tires of the shopping
malls, one realizes how close the boundaries are. My
biggest fear is throwing cigarette butts inadvertently
on the street and getting caught.

I hear the Speaker's Corner in Singapore is now really
called Sneakers Corner because more often soccer is
played than someone giving a speech.
--- Rajiv Baruah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

---------------------------------

Rajib,

There is this corner of the world - disneyland with
death penalty I call it, which was my abode for about
2 years. If there was one place where the might of the
"danda" successfully turned a tropical vice pit into
first world orderliness - it is Singapore. And so
successful was the power of the "danda" that well nigh
the entire populace turned into duty bound salarymen,
always keeping to the straight and narrow. But
globalisation came, China became the factory of the
world and the old certainities of Singapore, that
elbow grease and a 60 hour week will continue to put
dinner on Singapore's table vanished. The guv-ment
wanted "knowledge industries". But how do you get the
creative spark to kick start these knowledge
industries. Aha - some bright spark in the Guv-ment
said, we must now permit table top dancing and
encourage free debate (S'pore style).

And so the Speakers Corner was born. It is behind a
police station where you have to take a permit in
advance before you talk. In my two years there, I did
not see a soul talk here. And I cross this place every
day, sometimes twice a day, on my way home or to a
coffee from office.

Let me give credit where credit is due - Singapore is
a wonderful place to raise kids, play golf and, and
let me think a bit more. But it is so mind numbinly
boring.

best

Rajiv