From: Manoj Das
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 8:49 PM
Subject: How to make Bio Diesel

Hi all

Making bio diesel (BD)is very simple. In Punjab and Haryana, the ingenious farmers make it on a big 'tawa'- (huge cooking pot) and run their tractors on it.

In fact all vegetable oils can be converted into bio-diesel. It is done by direct acid catalyzed esterification of the oil with methanol. The process is batch type. 10% Methanol is added into the oil with 1% peroxide and  heated in a reactor for 4 hours at 65 degrees C. The end product is settled in a tank and glycerine (10%) and biodiesel (89%) separates out.

Jetropha is widely used as the base stock for biodiesel in India, because it's cheap and has a very high yield (upto 35%). All other cheap TBO (Tree Born Oilseeds) can be used to make BD.

If we blend 5% BD with normal diesel, by 2007 India will need 2.6 million tonnes of BD.

Check for more info www.pcra-biofuel.org.

cheers