Title: Re: [Assam] From Outlook India
Ram:

It matters little whether there is truth to the suggestion that even Bimaru states performing better than Karnataka.

What is striking is that the question even arises, about Karnataka's performance.

Not that I am surprised about Indian states' performance u in this area. But I did not expect to hear it about Karnataka.

Obviously something is seriously wrong. And we know, by and large, what it is. Don't we :-)?

c-da

At 5:12 PM -0500 9/22/06, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
C'da,

This is a little worrying. One would have expected the big K to be far better than the Bimaru states.

>According to the report, Karnataka ranks much below even >'Bimaru' states like Bihar and Chhattisgarh on the learning >index.

I sincerely want to believe this story, but unfortuantely, I also seriously doubt anything fruitful comes out of state like Bihar. Been to the Godforsaken place a couple of times, and I would find it difficult to believe that stuff like "stats" are not actually made up or at the very least accurate.

Writing or speaking English is just not there. They my know Hindi and Bojhpuri very well, but without an iota of English, we all know, there would be serious limitations.

I am not saying Karnataka doesn't have problems in education (or in other areas) - but if I were a betting man, I would place my bets on the Big K any day over Bihar.

--Ram