>"But at least I tried. That's the difference in me and some, including all of the right-wingers who are attacking me >now," Clinton said when asked whether he had failed to fully anticipate bin Laden's danger. "They had eight months >to try, they did not try. I tried. So I tried and failed."

Did the critcs countered this? If not, we will have to assume the statement of Clinton to be correct. I think it was the Bush administration who failed to fully anticipate the danger of Ben Laden in spite of clear warning from the past administrtaion. They took a 'we know better' attitude. I remeber one senior CIA guy under Bush administration resigned at that time seeing the utter lack of seriousness of the Bush administration at that time.
Rajen Barua