C-da,

Good article but if we draw the moral that
micro-credit is bad becos it is not effectively
implemented and people are dying becos of its faults
--so stop it --then the same logic can work for
stopping road travel and sea travel etc --becos people
do die in traffic and travel accidents.

Umesh

> >Death by Micro Credit-2
> >

> >I don’t know why writers always give interest
> >rate charged as just 20% when in GOI report on
> >Vidharba gave the figure to be as high as 5% per
> >month to even 1.5% per day. World Bank report of
> >2003 (Report No. 25797-IN) also state that
> >interest rate charged from farmers and SME is
> >36% to 120% per year.
> >
> >Access to Rural Credit – Page 108! of WB- 25797- IN
> >
> >[3 .8 1 India has a wide network of rural
> >finance institutions (RFIs), but a large number
> >of the rural poor remain under-served or
> >completely left out of the formal financial
> >system. There are over 30,000 commercial bank
> >branches, over 14,000 regional rural banks
> >(RRBs), and over 100,000 rural credit
> >cooperatives (RCCs) in addition to several
> >non-bank financial institutions. This translates
> >to about 4,700 people served by each RFI outlet.
> >However, the last available rural household
> >survey (Reserve Bank of India 1991) found that
> >only about one-sixth of rural households
> >borrowed from formal RFIs. Non-institutional
> >sources accounted for as high as 52-62% of
> >household outstanding debt. The rural non-farm
> >sector also faces constraints to accessing
> >finance. A recent study covering some 20 million
> >small-scale rural enterprises (in the
> >unorganized sector) found that commercial banks
> >reportedly meet merely 4% of the credit needs of
> >this sector, and micro-finance sources provide
> >another 3% of their credit needs.
> >Various estimates suggest that India’s rural
> >poor rely almost entirely on informal sources
> >(money lenders, traders, commission agents,
> >etc.) to meet their consumption credit needs, at
> >annual interest rates ranging from 36% to 120%
> >per annum.]
> >
> >My uncle told me the standard procedure in
> >Ludhiana, Punjab is moneylenders give a loan !
> >of say Rs.1,00,000/- on stamp paper. Actual
> >money released is 85% or Rs. 85,000/- and the
> >loan is payable at Rs.1000 per day or 1% per day
> >from day one.
> >
> >Compounding of 15% alone comes to 66% annually
> >but again Rs.1000/- returned per day lend at
> >same rate shall also fetch similar return
> >therefore actual interest rate may come close to
> >100%.
> >
> >Supply of spurious seeds, pesticides and
> >fertilizers, very low MSP and takeover of farm
> >produce by moneylenders at harvest time when
> >prices are at it lowest compounded with draught
> >or unseasonal rain destroying crops, lack of!
> >public healthcare all at add up to the financial
> >burden.
> >
> >Farmers are forced to sell their land to pay for
> >treatment of their family members or to get them
> >admissions to schools and colleges in
> >mushrooming private hospitals and educational
> >institutions.
> >
> >Ravinder Singh
> >September28, 2006
>
><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED],
>
> ><mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >  hoo.com>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> >From: sudhirendar

> [...]

Umesh Sharma
5121 Lackawanna ST
College Park, MD 20740 USA

Current temp. address: 5649 Yalta Place , Vancouver, Canada

 1-202-215-4328 [Cell Phone]
Canada # (607) 221-9433

Ed.M. - International Education Policy
Harvard Graduate School of Education,